Capitalization of Proper Nouns
We capitalize proper nouns:
House of Representatives
U. S. Constitution
Common Nouns Within Proper Nouns
When a common noun such as "lake," "river," "mountain," "street," or "school" is a part of a proper noun, we capitalize it as in the examples below.
Dana Junior High School
Empire State Building
Small Words Within Proper Nouns
When the following small words are parts of a proper noun, we do not capitalize them unless they are the initial or final word:
a, an, and, at, but, by, for, from,
if, in, into, of, on, the, to, with
Examples below show the correct capitalization of proper nouns.
- The Little House on the Prairie
- Proctor and Gamble Company
- Gulf of Maine
- House of Commons
- Ivan the Terrible
- Straits of Gibraltar
- Richard the Lionhearted
- "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"
- Speaker of the House
- "Stars and Stripes Forever"
Write the correct capitalization of proper nouns in the following sentences.
- The main character is tom sawyer.
- Have you read lord of the rings?
- The dixon family helped to build hoover dam.
- Many americans are immigrants.
- Is christmas island located in the indian ocean?
- The british still honor their queen.
- The sciarrotta family cruised from catalina island to ensenada, mexico.
- The irish celebrate st. patrick's day.
- Yes, gouverneur morris wrote the u. s. constitution in its final form.
- The adams family served the government of the united states in several different capacities.
- The jews celebrate yom kippur.
Here we show the correct capitalization of proper nouns:
- We capitalize Tom Sawyer because it is a specific person.
- Lord and Rings are capitalized because they are words of a book title. We do not capitalize the small words of and the.
- Dixon Family is a specific family and needs capital letters. Also, Hoover Dam is a specific dam.
- Americans is capitalized because it is a group of people from a specific country.
- Christmas Island is a specific island and needs capital letters. Also, the Indian Ocean is a specific ocean.
- British is capitalized because it is a group of people from a specific country.
- Sciarrotta Family is a specific family and needs capital letters. Also, Catalina Island is a specific island, and Ensenada, Mexico is a specific city in a specific country.
- Irish is capitalized because it is a group of people from a specific country. St. Patrick's Day is a specific day.
- We capitalize Gouverneur Morris because he is a specific person. We capitalize U. S. Constitution because it is a specific document.
- Adams Family is a specific family and needs capital letters. Also, United States is a specific country.
- Jews is capitalized because it is a group of people with a distinctive religion. Yom Kippur is a specific holiday.